Wednesday, February 2, 2011

If you don't have to be on the road, STAY HOME!

As I watch the news and facebook posts of my friends in the east, I am reminded of a day when I was Chief Staff of DESRON 9.

The Commodore was taking a day off to move from one house in our neighborhood (I lived right next door to him) to another house (at the other end of the alley).  SO, I was  Al Hagg for the day.... the man in charge.

I remember snow was in the forecast.  We pointed this out to the Commodore.  He said, "It doesn't snow in Seattle."  -- At least that is how I remember it.

I am not sure but for some reason I woke very early -- not saying the boss was making a lot of noise as he prepared to move his stuff -- and I noticed snow falling...... Go figure.  The weather man was right for a change.  It wasn't much but it was coming down steady.  I turned on the television to get the morning weather and see if there was any news of the road conditions. 

Our neighborhood was near downtown Seattle.  The Naval Station Everett was about 30 miles further north.  There on the television was the weather man -- in Everettt.  The snow coming down faster and heavier.  He gave the local conditions and the forecast for the next few hours.  It didn't sound good.  To drive the point home, he called upon Trooper Smith. 

Trooper Smith's comment was short and sweet, "If you don't HAVE to be on the road today, Stay Home."

Well, that was good enough for me.  I called the Staff Duty Officer and told him to activate the phone tree.  Have everyone stay home.  I went outside to look at the snow a few minutes later.  My boss came out of his door and said, "Why are you here?"

"Trooper Smith said, if I didn't have to be on the road, stay home.  Sounded like good advice."

"Ok, you're in charge."

AND for another example of why you should stay home.

I remember a weather report where the weather man was in 60 below zero weather in Minnesota.  He was telling everyone to make sure if they had to venture from their homes to bundle up.  To make his point, he had his assistant hand him a boiling hot cup of water.  He threw the boiling water into the air.  It froze and fell to the ground as snow.  Point taken.  A cool example of the triple point of water!  Not one I want to experience first hand.

If you don't have to be on the road, STAY HOME!

Be safe everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment